Thanksgiving is here. Granted. But so is my appetite for sweet potatoes and that never goes away! Stepping in for our normal recipe reaconteur, I thought I would post a simple side dish how-to for these table favorites.
Makes 3 cups
* 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Place sweet potatoes in steamer basket and cover; steam until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain, and return to saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar to a simmer, stirring to combine; remove from heat. Add to drained sweet potatoes, and mash just until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
[Full Story »]